Using basil essential oils in aromatherapy can help to clear the mind and support the nervous system.
Basil oil is thin and a pale green color. It has a sweet, peppery aroma and is obtained by steam distillation of the leaves and flowers. The oil blends well with lavender, lemon, and ginger essential oils.
Basil essential oil can be used for a number of conditions including:
- Coughs and colds. Inhaling basil oil can ease congestion in the sinuses and airways as well as cool fevers. It can also be beneficial for easing asthma and bronchitis. Adding the oil to hot bathwater can be beneficial for colds and respiratory problems. The oil is also useful for reviving those who have had a prolonged illness that has left them drained.
- Menstrual problems. The oil can be diluted in bathwater or in a massage oil to help to regulate the menstrual cycle. It is particularly useful when periods are infrequent.
- It has the ability to lift the mood so can be useful for sufferers of depression as well as easing related symptoms such as headaches. For the best results one can inhale the oil when it is used in a vaporizer. This will also help to keep the mind sharp and increase concentration.
- Basil essential oils can have a pain relieving effect on conditions such as arthritis. A few drops can be added to bathwater or diluted into massage oil and applied to affected areas.
- The oil can help to relieve digestive disorders such as constipation and nausea. It is also helpful for diarrhea and can prevent a built-up of gas in the digestive tract.
- Use of the oil can expel uric acid from the blood. This will help to ease conditions such as gout and will relieve the pain.
- It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which can help to control acne and other skin complaints. It is refreshing for the skin and is a useful remedy for insect bites.
- Basil oil is occasionally added to hair care products to improve dull hair and control oil levels and dandruff. It can also be found in skin care products that balance oily skin. It has a toning effect on the skin
- Regular use of the oil can help stimulate metabolism and improve circulation of the blood.
- Inhaling the aroma can help to relieve motion sickness, as it sharpens concentration and is generally reviving.
- Its anti-spasmodic properties can help to reduce menstrual cramps and other muscle contractions.
- It can be of benefit for those who are overly tired. Inhaling the oil can lift the senses and sharpen the mind.
- Basil essential oils also have properties that can ease bloodshot eyes.
Its ability to stimulate menstruation means that the oil is unsuitable for use during pregnancy. When used in excessive amounts it can dull the senses instead of sharpening them. It is also not recommended for those with sensitive skin.