Borage oil benefits the body in many ways. The oil is taken from the seeds of the borage plant, which can now been found in many parts of the world. The oil is rich in GLA (gamma linolenic acid), which the body converts into prostaglandin, a substance that is similar to a hormone.
The oil has been in use since the days of the Roman Empire and has many health benefits. Borage oil is available in the form of capsules or just as oil, which can be used for topical applications.
Borage Oil Benefits
- Helping to relieve stress and related symptoms such as high blood pressure.
- The oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which are particularly beneficial for the circulatory system.
- Borage oil has a positive effect on the circulation and may be able to help to lower cholesterol. It can help to prevent blood clotting and prevents the build-up of plaque in the arteries which can lead to heart attacks and cardiovascular problems.
- Better circulation is thought to be beneficial for male impotence.
- It is believed to be beneficial for sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis as it can relieve inflammation and pain.
- It can relieve the symptoms of eczema such as itching and inflammation. It can also be used to ease the skin lesions associated with seborrheic dermatitis in young children.
- Borage oil can be found in a number of skin care ranges for calming the skin and relieving dryness.
- Studies have been carried out which show that borage oil may be beneficial in preventing certain cancers. It can inhibit tumor growth and prevent damage to the nerves.
- When borage oil is taken as a dietary supplement the oil is thought to be helpful in fighting the signs of aging in the skin. It can ease the symptoms of psoriasis and relieve dry skin. It is particularly helpful for the elderly who may suffer from increased skin problems.
- The supplements can also be beneficial for those suffering from menstrual problems such as PMS, cramps, endometriosis, mood swings and symptoms of the menopause.
- The effects of the oil on the nervous system and moods can make it beneficial for sufferers of depression.
- Borage oil is thought to be beneficial for weight loss by reducing inflammation, which can affect the efficiency of the digestive system. This has not been proven in clinical studies, though the essential fatty acids are known to help boost metabolism.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of the oil may be beneficial for easing the symptoms of asthma.
- The essential fatty acids which help to improve skin quality are also useful for promoting healthy hair and nails.
There are few side effects associated with borage oil, though some users may suffer from nausea, headaches, and indigestion.
Those with low blood pressure and pregnant women should avoid using any borage oil supplement, as should those who are taking prescription medication for blood thinning.
It is important not to exceed the recommended dosages and users who are unsure should consult a qualified practitioner prior to beginning use.