Everybody needs cough remedies at some point in their lives, but many may not be aware that herbal cough medicine is an effective alternative to over-the-counter remedies. There are a number of ways of easing coughs naturally. Many herbs have natural expectorant properties that can help to clear the airways of excess mucus.
Herbal Cough Remedies
- Coltsfoot can be used to ease congestion in the lungs, as it is beneficial for a number of disorders of the respiratory system. It also boosts the immune system.
- Lobelia is used when the cough is dry, as it is a natural relaxing agent. It can reduce inflammation and soothe the passages. It is also useful for easing pain and reducing spasms of the bronchial tubes.
- Marshmallow root is also used for dry coughs and is soothing for the throat. The herb can beused to make an herbal cough medicine.
ComfiCoff by Native Remedies contains marshmallow and many other natural herbs and ingredients to help heal coughs due to cold and flu.
- Mullein tea is another of the excellent cough remedies and is traditionally given to children when a cough begins. It is a natural expectorant and is beneficial for painful coughs. It thins the mucus, which helps the body to expel it much more quickly.
- Slippery elm bark can leave a coating on the throat that will soothe any inflammation.
- Ginger is a useful herbal remedy for cough. The root can be made into a paste with water added to form a syrup. Ginger can also be found in a number of herbal teas and is easily added to a number of dishes when cooking. The juice can be added to honey and taken several times a day to soothe the respiratory passages and expel mucus.
- Black pepper can help to shift mucus congestion in the lungs. The seeds can be chewed or the essential oil can be diluted and used as a chest rub.
- Fenugreek seeds can be boiled and the water used as a gargle to ease sore throats. The seeds can also be chewed to release the soothing oil they contain.
- Garlic is an excellent herbal remedy for cough and colds and is easily added to dishes when cooking.
- Clove oil can be combined with honey and garlic to form a syrup, which can be taken at night. It is effective for coughs associated with bronchitis and asthma.
- Holy basil tea can be mixed with honey and ginger to make an effective herbal cough remedy.
- Aloe vera juice can be blended with honey to form a soothing syrup.
- Cinnamon can be added to herbal teas for a warming effect, which helps to loosen congestion and clear the airways.
Care should be taken by those who are on prescription medications for other conditions to ensure that there will be no interaction. In these cases it is recommended to seek the advice of a doctor. Medical intervention may also be required if the symptoms persist for longer than normal.
Native Remedies has an excellent herbal cough remedy called ComfiCoff. Improves immune system health and helps eliminate cough.