Herbal Remedies For Women
There are quite a few effective female herbs that work on health issues affecting women only. These herbs can balance hormones, correct blood flow, and ensure healthy functioning of the major organs. Many health stores stock products and herbal remedies for women.
Some herbal remedies for women include:
- Dandelion. This herb can improve the functioning of the liver. Dandelion can encourage the production of bile and help to break down an excess of hormones in the system. This in turn can help with a number of menopause and menstrual problems and ease tenderness in the breasts. The herb is also a diuretic, which can help with the fluid retention many women have before their period.
- Nettle. This is another of the female herbs that helps with water retention, being a natural diuretic. Nettle is also very rich in vitamins and minerals, making it a very good choice for building back iron and other nutrients lost during menstruation.
- Raspberry Leaf. This herb can help to relieve menstrual cramps and reduce food cravings that can be triggered by hormonal fluctuations. Excessive bleeding can be eased with use of raspberry leaf. The herb has been used to increase fertility and if used during pregnancy can help relieve morning sickness and improve the quality of the blood. It is said to help during labor by strengthening the uterine walls.
- Evening Primrose. This herb is an excellent source of gamma-linoleic acid (GLA), which can help reduce the symptoms of PMS. It is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of ovarian cysts and can help to discourage the formation of lumps in the breast.
- Black Cohosh. The root of the plant can relax muscles and nerves. It has similar properties to estrogen and encourages menstrual flow. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and can act as an astringent. Black cohosh is a good herb to use when going through menopause, as it can ease symptoms such as hot flashes, mood swings, and headaches. This female herb is available in the form of tea, tincture, or capsules.
- Saw Palmetto. Although typically thought to be a male herb, saw palmetto has also been successfully used to treat infertility in women and boost the development of breast tissue. It can also ease menstrual cramps and act as a general tonic. Saw palmetto is thought to be beneficial for those suffering from polycystic ovaries as well.
- Vitex Agnus Castus or Chaste Berry. This herb has been used since ancient times to support the pituitary gland for balancing hormone production. Vitex is one of the female herbs that is able to regulate the menstrual cycle. It can reduce PMS, breast tenderness, water retention, and insomnia. It can also ease depression and irritability. Use of the herb can help with the production of milk in those who are nursing.
As with all herbal remedies, there may be side effects to consider. A qualified practitioner will be able to advise on the correct herbs and dosage for your particular condition.
If you suffer from severe symptoms, it is important to consult a healthcare provider. Anyone taking prescription medication should ensure that there will be no interaction with herbal remedies, particularly when treating hormone imbalances.