Hay fever remedies are becoming more popular as people look to herbal medicine for a solution.
Hay fever is an allergic irritation of the nasal passages that affects a lot of people, and many desire a natural or herbal hayfever remedy to help control or totally get rid of their troubling symptoms.
Hayfever can be triggered by an allergy to pollen or dust in the air. Depending on the allergen, some people may suffer all year round, though most will have their worst symptoms in the spring and summer.
- Taking a small amount of locally-produced raw honey each day is thought to boost the body’s ability to fight off the allergens and is a wonderful natural hay fever remedy. Honey is thought to work by providing a small amount of pollen to the body in order to build resistance and be able to fight off hay fever attacks.
- Taking stinging nettle extract can help to boost the body’s defenses and thus reduce the reaction to allergens. Stinging nettle is thought to be one of the best herbal remedies for hay fever, as it contains natural anti-histamines that help reduce the severity of a hayfever attack. If taken regularly, nettle can help prevent future attacks as well.
- Capsaicin is a naturally-occurring substance found in chilies. It is usually taken as a spray, though it is powerful and may cause irritation of the nasal passages in some people.
- Butterbur extract is an ingredient used in several hay fever remedies. As an hayfever remedy, it is thought to work in a similar way to conventional anti-histamine preparations. There are several side effects of butterbur, including headache, fatigue, and a number of conditions connected to the digestive system. Pregnant women and children should not use this herbal extract.
- Some aromatherapy oils can be used in a vaporizer so that the aromas can clear the nasal passages and ease the symptoms of hay fever. These include eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender essential oils.
- Green tea is another hay fever remedy. It contains high amounts of antioxidants, which can help the body to fight off infection and allergies.
- Pycnogenol is a pine bark extract, and studies have proven it to be very effective against hay fever.
- A strong immune system is essential, and using herbs such as echinacea and goldenseal can help to boost the body’s immune function. The systems are then better prepared to fight off the allergens which cause the reactions.
- A vitamin C supplement can help to boost the immune system as well as acting as a natural anti-histamine.
- Garlic is also a useful supplement which can strengthen the body’s defenses against allergens. If preferred, fresh garlic can be used in cooking for an easy way to add to the system.
Those who have had reactions to herbal preparations in the past should see the advice of a qualified practitioner before embarking on a course of treatment with any of the herbal hayfever remedies.