Sandalwood essential oil has become one of the more expensive oils to produce and is therefore not as widely used as some of the other essential oils.
It is used in a number of perfumes as it has a wood scent but is lighter than other ingredients with a wood base note. Sandalwood oil blends well with several other essential oils including lavender, bergamot, and ylang-ylang.
Sandalwood essential oil can be used in a number of ways:
- As a massage treatment, sandalwood oil can help to clear up any chest and respiratory problems. The oil has a calming effect on the mucous membranes. This can also aid with coughs and sore throats. It has anti-inflammatory properties which can sooth many types of inflammation. The oil will also act as an expectorant, which will help the body to rid itself of excess mucus.
- The oil can help with infections of the bladder and urinary tract when used in massage oil or when a few drops of the essential oil are added to bathwater. This can also help to prevent the formation of gas within the digestive tract. The oil can act as a diuretic which will help the body to rid itself of excess water.
- Inhaling sandalwood oil can help calm nerves and tension and is useful for those suffering from depression. By promoting calm, it can also help to induce restful sleep. Using the oil in a vaporizer can also help with respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis. Adding the oil to a burner can act as an insect repellent as well.
- Inhaling the oil can help with memory and concentration by promoting a feeling of calm and confidence.
- In moisturizing creams the oil can help to ease any itchiness or inflammation. It is very useful for combating dry skin. It is often used in anti-aging skin care products and also has the ability to balance oily skin. Applying the oil in a cream or in massage oil can help prevent scarring and can ease skin conditions such as eczema.
- The oil can be diluted in water and used as a gargle to ease a sore or scratchy throat. Sandalwood is also thought to be able to strengthen the gums. By diluting a tiny amount of oil in water it can also be ingested to help with high blood pressure, though this should only be done under the direction of a qualified professional.
- Sandalwood essential oil can be used to treat acne when used in skin creams or added to other facial treatments.
- When used externally in creams, sandalwood oil can help to heal wounds and prevent infection due to its antiseptic qualities. When added to bathwater, it can help to disinfect the skin and help to soothe skin disorders and infections.
The oil is considered to be very safe to use due to its suitability for sensitive skin. If you having any doubt about using the oil, then you should consult a qualified professional.