Thieves oil takes its name from a blend of essential oils that was used by those robbing the victims of the bubonic plague. They had created a substance that was powerful enough to kill many bacteria and protect themselves from infection.
Studies have been carried out which confirm that the blend is indeed very powerful and suitable for the purpose for which it was created.
The thieves essential oil recipe consists of clove, lemon, eucalyptus, rosemary, and cinnamon bark essential oils.
An easy way of creating the blend yourself is to use equal amounts of each essential oil, then blend with carrier oil to make it suitable for application to the skin.
Another thieves essential oil recipe calls for differing amounts of each oil. A simple recipe is to use 50 drops of clove essential oil, 40 drops of lemon essential oil, 25 drops of cinnamon bark essential oil, 18 drops of eucalyptus oil, and 15 drops of rosemary essential oil.
All of these oils are strongly anti-bacterial and antiseptic and are often used on their own for these purposes.
Thieves Oil Uses
• Diffusing the oil for a short period of time can help to reduce the amount of bacteria in the air.
• Regular use of the oil can help to kill off the germs that cause colds and flu. It can also help with other disorders of the respiratory system such as bronchitis, pneumonia, and coughs.
• Several drops of the oil can be diluted with water and used as a spray to help clean and sanitize surfaces.
• The same spray can be used on plants to form a natural pesticide.
• By blending with carrier oil it can be applied to the skin to combat acne.
• It can be applied to insect bites and stings to calm the skin and prevent infection.
• If applied directly to the affected areas, it can ease toothache, mouth ulcers, and infected gums.
• Thieves oil can be inhaled and massaged into the temples to provide relief from headaches and sinus problems.
• Thieves essential oil is a natural antifungal and can be applied to the feet and nails to combat fungal infections such as athlete’s foot.
• One drop of the oil can be diluted in water and used as a mouthwash or gargle for mouth or throat infections.
• Oil of thieves can be applied to cold sores, as it has anti-viral well as antiseptic properties.
• There are a range of products available which have been based on thieves oil. These include household cleaners, throat lozenges, toothpaste, hand wash, cleansing wipes, and soaps.
Thieves Essential Oil Side Effects
Cinnamon and clove oils may cause some skin irritation, so the blend must be properly diluted in carrier oil prior to use. Those with extra-sensitive skins should seek advice prior to use.
Apart from the small chance of a reaction to the oil, there are few side effects. Those in doubt should consult a qualified practitioner.