The benefits of ginseng for women cannot be overlooked in the modern world. It has been used for centuries to treat all manner of disorders and is a very popular herbal remedy with both men and women. It is often taken in capsule form or as a tea.
It is a widely-used herb, particularly in Chinese medicine. It comes in three varieties – American, Asian and Siberian.
The American variety is known as “cooling” ginseng. The Asian variety is also known as red ginseng. It is a stronger type and more warming and energy giving. Siberian ginseng comes from the same family of plants as the American and Asian varieties but is not a true ginseng.
Ginseng health benefits include:
- Regulation of menstruation and PMS.
- Ginseng has hormone-balancing qualities, which is useful for women in the early stages of menopause, as it regulates estrogen production from the ovaries.The American variety of ginseng is recommended for those suffering from hot flashes due to its ‘cooling’ qualities.
- Anti-aging properties. A number of skin creams now include ginseng in their list of ingredients. It has a toning effect on the skin and can help to balance oil production within the skin.
- The increase of libido. Women frequently find that their libido diminishes during menopause, and ginseng can help to stimulate the hormones that regulate this. Men have for many years used ginseng to combat similar problems.
- Fighting colds and infections. Another of the benefits of ginseng for women is its incredible ability to boost the body’s immune system, thus helping to ward off the common cold and aid healing when an infection is present.
- Many use ginseng for energy and to increase stamina. Ginseng can stimulate blood flow and can be used to combat fatigue and improve sports performance.If taking the herb for this reason, it is not recommended to be administered at night, as this could interfere with sleep.
- Fighting memory loss. Lapses in memory can be very distressing and this can be a symptom of menopause. Using ginseng in combination with other herbs can aid the sharpening of mental focus and avoid these lapses.
Ginseng For Weight Loss
It is also thought that ginseng may be useful when trying to lose weight, an issue with which many women are familiar. Its primary benefit is to aid with regulating blood sugar, which in turn reduces the amount of carbohydrate that the body stores as fat.
It should be noted though that ginseng should be used in conjunction with a balanced, low-fat diet to promote weight loss and will have little benefit if it is not.
Its ability to reduce fatigue and increase stamina should also help with weight loss, as those taking it will have increased energy levels for exercising.
Ginseng Side Effects
Although the benefits of ginseng for women are many, there are a number of side effects, and one should consult a medical professional if in doubt. Side effects can include high blood pressure, insomnia, headaches, and agitation.
Those with a serious illness such as cancer or a heart condition should check with their doctor to ensure that it will not interfere with any prescribed medication.
Visit Mountain Rose Herbs for the freshest organic herbs, teas, spices, and essential oils.
HERBAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF REMEDIES