There are a number of herbs that can be effectively used for canker sore treatment for those who prefer not to use conventional medications.
Canker sores are painful, open sores that occur on the tongue and on the inside of the lips and cheeks.
There are a number of reasons why canker sores may occur, including stress, a weak immune system, and poor nutrition.
Several herbal remedies for canker sores will also help with these problems and reduce the possibility of the sores recurring.
Canker Sore Treatment Herbs
- Using an herbal tea such as calendula or goldenseal as a gargle and mouthwash. These two herbs are effective canker sore remedies and are excellent at fighting infection and inflammation. They can be used several times a day while suffering from the sores, then at regular intervals to keep them at bay.
- Myrrh is high in natural tannins. The powdered form of the herb has been used to treat mouth infections for many years. A few drops of the extract or tincture can be diluted with water and used as a mouthwash.
- Regular black tea can help to get rid of canker sores, as it is also high in tannins. A used tea bag can be used as a compress.
- Licorice has a high tannin content as well and is an excellent canker sore remedy. It can help to speed up the healing process. More Benefits of Licorice.
- American Indians used an herb known as cankerroot for canker sore pain relief. The root can be made into a tea or chewed raw.
- Sage is a powerful canker sore treatment herb that can help to reduce inflammation but should not be used too often, as excessive quantities may have side effects. More on Sage Herb.
- Echinacea is an excellent herb for boosting the immune system to prevent the occurrence of canker sores in the first place and for healing the wounds that canker sores bring. A tincture can be used as a mouthwash. More Benefits of Echinacea.
- Chamomile is a good choice for soothing inflammation in the mouth and throat and can help to speed up the healing process. Chamomile is also a useful herb for reducing stress levels, which will help to prevent breakouts. More Health Benefits of Chamomile Tea
- Aloe vera juice and gel can help to get rid of canker sores. It is soothing on the inflammation and can help to heal wounds. More Medicinal Uses of Aloe Vera.
- For canker sore pain relief, tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and will help to numb the affected area. A few drops can be diluted and used as a mouthwash. More on Tea Tree Oil Remedies.
Good oral hygiene will help to prevent the sores occurring in the first place, as will a good diet.
When using herbal canker sore remedies, it is advisable to seek the advice of a qualified practitioner in order to ensure that you are using the correct herbal remedy for you.
It is important to consider the effect herbs may have on any conventional medications which you have been prescribed to ensure that there will be no reaction.
HERBAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF REMEDIES