Clary sage oil is an essential oil which is taken from the plant of the same name. The plant is a native of the southern part of Europe and has been used medicinally for thousands of years.
Extracted by steam distillation, the oil is pale yellow in color, has a sweet fragrance and has a thin consistency.
It can be one of the pricier oils, but its medicinal benefits cover a wide range of disorders, particularly when blended with other essential oils.
Clary sage oil blends well with lavender, jasmine, and geranium essential oils.
The benefits of clary sage essential oil include:
- It is often used for treating menstrual problems. It can help to regulate blood flow and soothe menstrual cramps. It can also help those who are going through menopause, reducing night sweats and hot flashes. clary sage can calm the irritability associated with menopause and reduce headaches. Diluting the oil in carrier oil and massaging the affected area will have a positive effect.
- Clary sage has the benefit of easing the symptoms of depression. Inhaling the oil can lift the mood, so using it in a vaporizer or adding a few drops to bathwater is an easy way to combat depression symptoms. It is of benefit to the nervous system and can help with other nervous disorders such as stress and insomnia. Regular use of the oil can reduce the symptoms and help to boost the user’s confidence.
- It can help skin which is prone to breakouts, as clary sage has antiseptic properties and is generally very healing. It can also help to kill bacteria on the skin, so is useful for wounds.
- It can be used externally to treat ulcers. The anti-bacterial action of the oil can help to keep infections at bay. The herb can be used as an ingredient in skin care preparations and will help to balance the skin’s oil production.
- Clary sage oil can be used to soothe eye inflammations and help to protect vision.
- It can be beneficial for muscular pain. The oil should be diluted in carrier oil and used as a massage on the affected areas.
- Applying the oil to the skin can calm inflammation. It should not be applied undiluted, but diluted in carrier oil or added to bathwater to dilute it.
- It can be useful for digestive disorders due to its calming effect on muscles and its ability to prevent a build-up of gas in the digestive tract. It can encourage the production of gastric juices to make the digestive function more efficient.
- The oil also has aphrodisiac properties and can help to restore libido and deal with the psychological problems associated with its loss.
- The astringent properties of clary sage essential oil can help to strengthen the gums and hair follicles.
Side Effects and Precautions of Clary Sage Oil
Clary sage has a very relaxing effect on the body and should not be used when alcohol is being consumed. Large doses of the oil should be avoided, as it could trigger headaches. Pregnant women should not use the oil, as it can stimulate menstruation.
Visit Mountain Rose Herbs for the freshest organic herbs, teas, spices, and essential oils.