German chamomile essential oil is made from the German chamomile herb. Also known as blue chamomile and Hungarian chamomile, German chamomile has anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties and has been used for many years in aromatherapy blends.
Benefits of German Chamomile
German chamomile oil has many health benefits including but not limited to:
- A digestive system aid. Due to the German chamomile essential oil having anti-spasmodic properties, when used as a rub it can help to ease stomach cramps and alleviate flatulence. It also encourages gall bladder and liver function, which supports good digestion.
- Chamomile oil can help to reduce the symptoms of cystitis, and people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or nervous stomachs may find the use of this oil beneficial.
- The anti-inflammatory properties contained in the German chamomile essential oil can help reduce the discomfort caused by joint ailments such as arthritis and rheumatism and help to reduce any swelling that may be associated with it. It is also an ideal rub on sprains and strains. It has also been known to be used to reduce the swelling brought on by mumps.
- A few drops of German chamomile oil in bathwater can give all over relief to aching muscles and joints. The aroma of the chamomile can help to reduce headaches, particularly a tension headache, as the oil contains de-stress and sedative properties. Soaking in a bath with chamomile oil before bedtime can help reduce the symptoms of insomnia as the sedative properties can help to relax the mind and so aid a restful sleep.
- German chamomile essential oil has many uses for the skin, from soothing the effects of sunburn to calming inflamed or irritated skin caused by dermatitis or eczema.
- Chamomile oil can also be used on allergy rashes to reduce any itching and is a perfect treatment for sores. For people prone to insect bites and stings, it is a good travelling partner and can even help to heal boils and abscesses.
- It is mild enough to be used on children who are often falling over and scraping knees. It soothes the wound, reduces any pain, and has antibiotic properties.
- German chamomile is well known for aiding skin regeneration and can even be used on the scalp to reduce psoriasis.
- Menstrual women will find rubbing the abdomen with a German chamomile oil blend will reduce the pain associated with stomach cramps. Menopausal women may also find this beneficial.
- It is also believed that German chamomile can help to reduce arterial plague, which will aid better blood circulation, reduce cholesterol and essential be beneficial to those with or at risk of heart disease.
Although generally thought of as safe, avoidance of use during pregnancy is advisable. Some people may find they have intolerance to the oil and so it is recommended to only use a blend of less than 2% concentration.
A patch test to check for allergies is also advised. Before starting any herbal treatment professional medical advice should be sought.
Visit Mountain Rose Herbs for the freshest organic herbs, teas, spices, and essential oils.
HERBAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF REMEDIES