Herbal allergy relief is becoming more popular due to the side effects of some allergy medications. Some of these preparations have side effects and may not have long term benefits. Allergies are triggered when the immune system attacks particles called allergens and treats them as an infection. The reaction can cause symptoms such as itchy and red eyes, headaches, and shortness of breath.
Natural allergy remedies include:
- Stinging nettle has antihistamine properties and is one of the best natural remedies for allergies. An antihistamine can block the reaction and prevent some of the symptoms while reducing the strength of others. It works very well on reactions that affect the respiratory system. The herb can be administered in tea form from the dried herb or in capsule form or tincture.
- Angelica is another herb for natural allergy relief. This can block the antibodies that cause an allergic reaction.
- Licorice is a natural anti-inflammatory, which stimulates production of cortisol, a hormone that can reduce inflammation. Care should be taken when using licorice, as it can lead to raised blood pressure. Those who are on blood pressure medication should consult their doctor prior to using licorice.
- Eyebright can calm inflammation in the eyes and in this way bring herbal allergy relief. This is effective for seasonal allergies such as hay fever. This herb can be taken in the form of a capsule or tincture.
- Marshmallow is a natural allergy remedy for inflammation and also acts as an expectorant, ridding the body of mucus from the airways. It may react with some prescription medications, so a doctor’s advice should be taken prior to use.
- Elder flower is another of the allergy remedies. Acting as a decongestant, it helps calm inflammation in the nasal and sinus passages.
- Chamomile is a natural remedy for external symptoms such as hives, as it is very gentle for topical applications.
- A goldenseal tonic is beneficial for boosting the immune system and keeping infection at bay. Caution should be taken in those with hypertension, however, as it may aggravate high blood pressure.
- Grape seed extract is a natural antioxidant that can also boost the immune system.
- Those who suffer from more than one allergy may find acupuncture beneficial, as it can calm the immune system and reduce the chances of an allergic reaction.
- Another natural allergy relief product is raw honey produced locally. This will contain pollen from local plants and will help you to adapt to them in order to fight off seasonal allergies such as hay fever.
- Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory, which is particularly useful in the digestive tract. If the digestion is working efficiently, it can help to remove toxins that could cause an allergic reaction.
If on any medications currently, those who are considering using an herbal allergy relief supplement should first consult with a qualified practitioner to ensure that any herb they use will not cause a reaction with current medications.