There are a number of herbal remedies for ADHD and ADD on the market that are very effective for controlling and even eliminating the symptoms of these troublesome disorders.
Symptoms of these conditions include having trouble concentrating, poor organizational skills, learning difficulties, forgetfulness, and hyperactivity.
Sufferers can then experience anxiousness, irritation, and aggression.
The brain contains a chemical called norepinephrine, which transmits information from one part of the brain to another.
Those diagnosed with ADHD and ADD have a reduced functioning of this chemical. Then there are number of factors to be considered which can aggravate both conditions.
Excessive sugar consumption can inhibit the brain’s response to norepinephrine, reducing its co-ordination ability. Some food allergies can also impair this function. There is also a wide range of possible factors that may impact the brain’s ability to function properly. Smoking during pregnancy can lead to deficiencies in the unborn child, as can a poor diet.
Conventional treatment includes the use of stimulating drugs, but long-term use of these drugs can actually have a negative effect. Studies show that herbal remedies for ADD and ADHD can have a similar effect to prescription medication without the range of side effects.
Herbal treatment for ADHD and ADD can include:
- Gingko biloba. This herb is often used to support brain function and help to maintain focus and concentration. This works by increasing blood flow to the brain and has an antioxidant effect. Gingko biloba can also act to improve the metabolism of glucose.
- Chamomile. This herb is calming and can be used to soothe the sufferer when they are experiencing mood swings and aggressiveness.
- Valerian. Very similar to chamomile and a popular ADD herbal remedy.
- Siberian ginseng. Can stimulate brain activity and is very similar to the effect of gingko biloba. It is useful for increasing concentration, so it is beneficial for those who are finding it difficult to concentrate on work.
- Gotu kola. Controls the chemicals that are released when under stress or suffering from anxiety. Gotu kola can also stimulate blood flow and improve the function of the brain.
- St John’s wort. One of the best herbs for fighting the symptoms of depression, which can be one of the long term effects of ADHD and ADD.
Other Steps to Take
An herbal remedy for ADD and ADHD is a good first step to take. When combined with a balanced diet that is not too high in sugar and other stimulants, such as artificial preservatives, herbs can have a beneficial effect.
Correct diagnosis is very important before using any herbal remedies for ADHD. A number of people who suffer from seasonal affective disorder have been wrongly diagnosed with ADD or ADHD due to the similarity of some of the symptoms and have then been prescribed medication that has no value to them.
A qualified medical practitioner should make the diagnosis and should approve the use of any herbal remedies for ADHD or ADD. Some herbs may interfere with conventional medication, reducing its effectiveness and aggravating any side effects.
ADHD herbal medicine preparations are available from suppliers of natural remedies. These are usually a blend of herbs.