Rose oil is one of the most coveted in aromatherapy. It has a number of benefits but can be expensive to produce so many therapists tend to use others.
Rose essential oil can be used in a number of ways:
- One of the main benefits of rose oil is in skin care preparations. It can be used on all different skin types but is particularly beneficial for older or dry skins. It can tone the skin and reduce the appearance of thread veins and enlarged capillaries. It can also be beneficial for stretch marks and other scars. When purchasing a skin cream that claims to have rose in it, ensure that it does actually contain rose oil rather than a synthetic alternative.
- The calming fragrance of essential oil of rose is of benefit to nervous disorders and can help those who are very emotional. It can encourage a good night’s sleep, so using the oil in a burner or vaporizer is a good choice. The oil is a good choice for those who are suffering from depression and anxiety, as it is thought to be a natural boost for a person’s confidence. It has an uplifting effect on moods, which can benefit many who are at a low point in their lives.
- Diluting the oil in carrier oil and massaging the abdomen with it can help with a number of problems. It can have a positive effect on hormone production and help to ease menstrual cramps and PMS. It can also help to encourage blood flow in those who are suffering from irregular periods. Adding a few drops of the oil to bathwater can also help with these conditions.
- Oil of rose is a natural antiseptic and when blended into a cream can be used on wounds to prevent infection. The oil can speed up clotting and so help to heal wounds much more quickly while at the same time fighting bacteria and preventing infection. The oil can also be used to ease a number of infections including ear infections.
- It has anti-spasmodic properties which can relieve spasms in the respiratory and digestive systems. Massaging the oil into affected areas can ease cramps and strained muscles.
- Essential oil of rose also has antiviral properties so can help the body to defend itself against illness and infection. It also has the ability to clean the blood and help the body to rid itself of toxins.
- The rose has always featured heavily in romance, and the fragrance of the oil is thought to be a natural aphrodisiac.
- Using rose oil can encourage a laxative effect on the digestive system as it encourages blood flow to the muscles and keeps them functioning properly.
Care should be taken when buying the oil, as some brands will actually be adulterated oils that have been blended with others. The pure rose essential oil can be blended well with geranium and jasmine oils.
As the oil encourages blood flow, it should be avoided during pregnancy. Too much of the oil can trigger headaches, so only the smallest amounts are required for a positive effect.