Ylang ylang essential oil has a very sweet, floral fragrance which makes it very popular in aromatherapy and perfume making. It is extracted by steam distillation from the cananga odorata plant from Asia and is a clear oil with a hint of yellow.
It can be blended with several other essential oils including rosewood, sandalwood, and any of the citrus oils.
Ylang ylang essential oil has a number of health benefits:
- The oil has antiseptic properties so can be used to treat wounds or burns to prevent infections. Ylang ylang can also act as an anti fungal and will ease conditions such as athlete’s foot.
- It has calming properties. By adding a few drops to bathwater, one can achieve a more relaxed state. It can have a positive effect on the nervous system and help to ease nervous disorders. It is particularly beneficial after suffering from shock.
- Ylang ylang can act as a mild sedative by reducing anxiety and the symptoms of stress so that the user can achieve restful sleep. People who suffer regularly from insomnia will find this oil beneficial. By diluting the oil into carrier oil and massaging into the skin, restful sleep can be induced.
- It is a natural remedy for problems with the reproductive system by helping to balance hormone production. It is of benefit for those who suffer from mood swings that are caused by PMS.
- Balancing levels of oil in hair and skin. Putting a couple of drops of the oil on a hairbrush can help to condition and strengthen the hair. This can also help to protect the hair when swimming and can help split ends. It is also often found as an ingredient in a number of skin care products.
- Stimulating for the circulation when massaged into the skin. The oil can be diluted with carrier oil and blended with other essential oils if desired.
- Inhaling ylang ylang oil can help to lower blood pressure due to its relaxing qualities.
- It is a natural remedy for sufferers of depression, as it can lift the mood. Using the oil in a vaporizer or burner can help to keep anxiety at bay. It can also help those who suffer from fatigue.
- Using the oil in a skin cream can help to ease the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis by soothing the inflammation, controlling the skin’s production of sebum, and preventing infection.
- Ylang ylang essential oil has been used as an aphrodisiac as it can ease stress and lift the mood. Sufferers of impotence and frigidity have found it very helpful.
- It can help with infections of the digestive system and urinary tract.
If used excessively, some people may suffer headaches or nausea, but ylang ylang oil is not irritating for sensitive skin. The oil should always be diluted into carrier oil before being applied to the skin.
Because of its effects on the reproductive system, women are advised not to use ylang ylang in the early stages of pregnancy.