There is a large market for cold sore remedies. Many people suffer from these painful blisters called cold sores or fever blisters that occur around the mouth area and are brought on by the herpes simplex virus.
Regular sufferers can usually tell when a sore is going to appear by the tingling that occurs up to two days before the sore appears.
There are a number of medicated over-the-counter preparations available for fighting cold sores, but an ever growing number of people would prefer to use a natural cold sore remedy.
Natural cold sore remedies include:
- Lysine is an amino acid which is usually absorbed through foods. Amino acids help with the production of protein, which the body requires for a strong immune system, and lysine has been found to be particularly effective as a natural fever blister treatment. Lysine is also available as a supplement.
- Lemon balm is also an effective oral herpes treatment. Lemon balm has antiseptic and antiviral properties and has been clinically proved to heal the sores much more quickly than many conventional preparations.
- Peppermint oil is a natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory essential oil, and studies have shown it to be effective against the herpes simplex virus. Only small amounts should be used, and it is better to use it diluted in a cream.
- Propolis is the substance that bees use to keep their hives together. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, making it a very good fever blister treatment. Supplements are widely available, and it can help to prevent the spread of the herpes simplex virus.
- An herb known as self-heal is a natural remedy for cold sores and is a plant native to Europe and parts of Asia. Extracts of self-heal are believed to be effective when the cold sores do not respond well to conventional cold sore remedies.
- Echinacea is a useful natural fever blister treatment, as it provides a boost for the immune system, which can help to keep the virus at bay.
- Goldenseal is another herbal supplement which can help the body to fight off infection and illness.
- Lavender and tea tree essential oils can be applied to the sore to fight bacteria and heal the blister. Using lavender in an infuser can help relieve symptoms of anxiety and stress, which can often cause a cold sore to appear.
- Using camphor oil or spirit of camphor can help to dry the cold sores and heal the outbreak.
- A vitamin B complex supplement can help to speed up healing time, although taking a multivitamin supplement with a balanced mix of vitamins and minerals is a good idea to boost the immune system.
- Olive leaf extract is another of the excellent cold sore remedies that acts as a natural antibiotic.
- Fresh garlic can be sliced and applied to the sore for added healing, and a garlic supplement is a good idea for increased immune function.
Precautions with Natural Herpes Remedies
Those who suffer from auto-immune diseases such as AIDS or HIV should consult a doctor prior to using any herbal fever blisters remedies as well as those suffering from conditions like leukemia, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or any condition that affects the major organs of the body.
HERBAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF REMEDIES